Knowlton Court


The Knowlton estate has a rich and varied history. The Estate was first recorded in the Domesday Book, during which time, like a number of Kent's great Estates, it belonged to Bishop Odo of Bayeux, the half-brother of William the Conqueror.

Knowlton Court is now in the stewardship of the Fox-Pitt family, one of Britain's best-known equestrian families.

Sir John died at sea, leaving a widow and two sons. His widow remarried Sir Cloudesley Shovell, who, together with his stepsons, died at sea in the Scilly naval disaster of 1707. All are commemorated in St Clement's Church, the private chapel on the Knowlton Estate.
The estate passed to the D'Aeth family in 1707 and it was owned by the family until 1904, when it was bought by the High Sheriff of Kent, Major Francis Elmer Speed. Speed commissioned Edwin Lutyens to design a gatehouse, in 1912 and made considerable alterations to the properties on the Estate.